Wednesday 17 April 2013

Rio Ferdinand wants to prolong Manchester United career

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says nobody will replicate what Ryan Giggs has achieved at Old Trafford.Rio Ferdinand has given the clearest indication yet that he will sign a new contract at Manchester United, extending his stay at Old Trafford into a twelfth season.

The 34-year-old defender will be out of contract this summer, but is set to pen a one-year deal that will keep him at the club until June 2014.

Ferdinand confirmed he wants to prolong his Manchester United career for as long as possible, but added that there was little chance of him emulating the longevity of team-mate Ryan Giggs.

"I'm just enjoying my football, playing in the big games, being a regular in the team," he is quoted in the Daily Mail. "It enables you to hit a bit of form. I hope I can carry on.

"When you get to my stage you take it year by year. I'm working out my routine.

"But no-one else will be able to do what Giggsy has done. He's got a certain body type, works on it and gets the best out of it."

The former West Ham and Leeds United stopper has been linked with a lucrative move to China or North America, but he looks set to ignore those overtures in favour of one more year in the Premier League, after proving he still has what it takes to compete, in 24 top-flight appearances and counting, this campaign.

Ferdinand returns to the place where it all started as Manchester United take on the Hammers at Upton Park this evening, and the veteran called for full focus from his team-mates, as they look to right the wrongs of last season, and maintain their 15-point lead at the top of the table.

"We've got to make sure we finish the season correctly and get this title back. We're not far off it but it's not over until it's over. We have to make sure we remain focused and apply ourselves in the right way."

He added: "I'm not really surprised by the lead if I'm honest. When I look around the changing room I expect us to be winning games nine times out of 10.

"I believe in the squad, believe we can win games in various ways,  winning ugly, playing fluent football, keeping a clean sheet.

"It would be great to win it again but until we do I don't want to talk much about it. Last season a lot of people got ahead of themselves.

Source:givemefootball news

0 comments:

Post a Comment